Saturday, January 25, 2014

Lost in Translation: Might Make You Blush

Warning: you don't wanna read this post unless you have boys. Trust me on this one...and, don't judge.

Holly had the day off from her nursing school yesterday. Yay! I was thinking we would go have lunch somewhere, she and I...and Joshua. I was thinking about this little place downtown. I was thinking about the quiche they have there on Thursdays and Fridays. But I was dreaming about the lemon cookies they have there every day.

Mmmmm...

Wait. Where was I?

Oh, yes...lunch. Mmmmm...

So, at the place I wanted to go...it gets crazy crowded at lunch. Or, as Joshua would say, "it gets crowd."

Very, very crowd.

It's good to get there early. Especially since I like to sit at the table by the window and stare at watch all the people go by.

I could just tell by the way the morning was going that we would not be able to make it there early. AND, I was thinking that Jim might want to join us, so I thought of a new plan: Chick-Fil-A. We hadn't been there in a while. And, side note: we call it "Chick," because when Holly was in college at OBU, they had a Chick-Fil-A on their campus, and all the kids called it "Chick" for short. So that's what we do now.

I hollered up the stairs to Joshua and he came to the top and said, "ma'am?" And then here is how our conversation went from there:

Me: "Do you want to go to Chick?"
Joshua: "What?"
Me: "Do you want to go to Chick?"
Joshua: "I can't hear you."

At this point, I think I should say that while Joshua does have a very hard time hearing, I've had a sore throat all week and couldn't speak very loud, no matter how hard I tried.

Me: "Do you want to go to Chick?"
Joshua: "DICK'S?"
Me: "CHICK, Joshua...DO YOU WANT TO GO TO CHICK?"
Joshua: "I'll get ready."

My throat hurts and now my head hurts.

Joshua came downstairs and said, "what do we need at Dick's?"

Seriously?

I was sitting at the kitchen table and I said, "CHICK, Joshua, CHICK. CHICK-FIL-A. Do you want to go to Chick-Fil-A?"

Joshua said, "ohhhh. I thought you said, DICK's."

We have a sporting goods store in our town called "Dick's Sporting Goods." When I talk about it around here, I refer to it as the "D-word store" because 3 BOYS.

And because we don't talk like that around here, but you know who does? Boys..in locker-rooms.

And I would also like to say that, several years ago, we had a quarterback at the University of Arkansas by the name of Casey Dick...and Joshua got so mad at him one night during a game and said something not nice about him...and then used his last name...and when I say Clark fell off the couch laughing, Clark fell off the couch laughing. 

And we had company at the time...so there's that.

And, Casey Dick had a brother named Nathan Dick, and he was also a quarterback...so we had several years where we couldn't have people out to the house during football season.

Just sayin'...OBVIOUSLY.

So anywayyyy, we got to Chick and met up with Jim. While I ordered for Joshua and I, Joshua got allllll of the straws, napkins, ketsup and silverware we would need, and he went to sit down. Jim and Holly stayed at the counter and waited on our order.

The tables at our Chick are really close together. Wanna know how I know that?

Because Joshua, who talks very quietly most of the time, quietly said, "Earlier...at home...I thought you said, DICK's!"

And he put the emphasis on that last word and it was not quiet. In fact, it was like E.F. Hutton was speaking, because it seemed like the entire restaurant went silent...and peoples' heads whipped around toward us like a scene from The Exorcist.

And that word..the last one...echoed for a good 20 seconds: "ICK...ICK...ick...ick...ick..."

We probably can't go back there for a while.

"Pleasant words are like a honeycomb..." Proverbs 16:24

No comments:

Post a Comment