Sunday, January 26, 2014

That's One Way to Look at It

The other morning, on our 35 minute drive to Little Rock, the sun was so bright. The days before had been dark and gloomy, so the sun was a welcome sight.

Joshua kept saying, "oooo...that sun is so bright." And variations of that statement. Over and over.

I was kind of enjoying the sun. With all of the trees being so dead looking, having the sun out made the drive so pretty. And maybe it did look brighter, since we hadn't seen it for a while.

And I don't know if the brightness of the sun affected my brain, but, against my better judgment...and I only realized this by looking BACK, after the fact...I said, "you know, Joshua, the sun is always bright. That's what it is. If you look it up on Google, it will talk about the sun being a star that's full of lava or some other sort of hot stuff. It's always hot...it's always bright...that's how God created it to be."

Joshua, "well, today it is bright."

(sigh)

Side note: I remember one of my boys telling me I could make a Bible lesson out of a bologna sandwich. At the time, I took it as a compliment. As the years have gone by, I think he was making fun of me. ROO.

Me: "The sun is bright every day. It's just that sometimes there are obstacles in our way that keep us from seeing how bright it is, like buildings...trees...clouds...or stuff in the air like pollution or smoke." But even on those days, the sun is still the same bright star and hot as ever, even if we can't see it. That's the way God planned it and He thought of everything."

[crickets chirping]

[and, I KNOWWWWW, but you would be surprised at the Biblical concepts Joshua understands]

Then he said, "You know what I was thinking? What if the greater light was at night and the lesser light...the moon...was during the day? That would be one messed up Creation."

And, instead of listening to that little voice in my head that said, "SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND PLEASE STOP TALKING, MARTY," I pressed on saying, "it's kind of like how the Bible tells us that Jesus is the Light of the world. He is, but sometimes we put other things in front of Him that block His light...like our pride, or our busy lives, or wanting to do things our own way. It doesn't change the fact that He is still the Light of the world...it's just that sometimes we don't see Him."

And then I stopped...proud of myself and pretty satisfied I had made my point.

Joshua just looked at me, shrugged his shoulders, and said, "well...that's ONE WAY of looking at it..."

"God made the two great lights-the greater light to have dominion over the day and the lesser light to have dominion over the night. He also made the stars." Genesis 1:16

No comments:

Post a Comment