Thursday, January 30, 2014

Joshua's Week-Recycling and Murry's

This week was a busy one for Joshua.

On Tuesday, they had a guest speaker come to his "group" and talk about recycling. He told me he learned some things, but couldn't remember what.

Yes. That's what he said.

And after lunch on Tuesday, they made a craft using plastic bags from WM and Kroger.

When Mrs. Sherrie asked us to all bring plastic grocery bags, I thought, "she has NO idea." We save those things like you wouldn't believe. I use them to bag up things I want to take directly to the trash, like, the packages meat, chicken and fish come in. You let those sit in your trash for 2 days and you will not be able to come into your kitchen! Trust me on that one! I also use those bags for packing purposes. During the 4 years that Logan has been in college, I have mailed him cookies or brownies nearly every week. Not every week...nearly every week. And so sometimes I just need to stuff some of those WM bags in there to keep the cookie container from crashing around in the box. I want him to have cookies...not cookie PIECES.

On Wednesday, they went to the Murry's Dinner Theater. This is one of their favorite things to do. They all get dressed up for it. They go to the day-time show and are there with all of the little old ladies and men. The food is off of a buffet, and you have probably never met a person with Down Syndrome who doesn't love them a buffet line.

Just sayin'.

Joshua tells me who gets what to eat and how a certain one usually snags herself TWO desserts.

There's also a girl who comes to some events that he calls "Bossy Amy." He said, "Bossy Amy is coming today, but she is not the boss of me and I am not sitting by Bossy Amy today. If she comes to our table, we will say, 'no, Bossy Amy, you can't sit with us."

And that last statement is for all the people in my life who have, during the last almost 28 years, told me, "oh, people with Down Syndrome are sooooooooooo loving."

They are, but still.

The last time Joshua went to Murry's, he told me, "I wasn't very hungry today. I just got ham and roast beef and chicken...green beans, mashed potatoes, one roll and cake."

Okay. Good. So glad to know you WEREN'T HUNGRY.

He also gets coffee. This is the only time and place that he will get coffee. I don't know if he even likes it, but it makes him feel big.

Today, he told me that they "hanged around" the center for a while, went to fitness and lunch at Corky's BBQ. After lunch, they went back to the center and started working on their Self-Portrait Series. I'm not really sure what that is...but I can't wait to find out!

This has been a fun week for Joshua!

"...He Himself has said, 'I will never leave you or forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment