Monday, January 30, 2017

A Sweet Monday

As I'm writing this post, it's Monday morning. I've been awake since about 2:30. I don't know what woke me up, or why I couldn't get back to sleep, but it's super frustrating...especially since Jim got up at 4:15 to go on a run.

WHYYYYYYYYYYY?

But I got up, and I made blueberry muffins...because it's Monday, and because I know what's good for me.

At 7 a.m., Aaron-the-son-in-law walked through the door, carrying my prize for the day: sweet baby Rhodie.

Rhodie was sound asleep in his car-seat. Aaron said he'd been up since about 5:45. I started warming up a bottle for him, but he didn't wake up.

Here it is 1 1/2 hour later, and Rhodie is still asleep. I wanted to take him out of his car-seat, but I didn't want to disturb him...so he's still in it...and still asleep.

I've had the TV on while I've stirred around the house...picking up the kitchen, doing laundry, taking things up and down the stairs. The news is depressing...marches, protests, killings, speeches, politics. I guess I could turn it off...but I don't.

Instead, I look over at my sleeping grandson, and I wonder...what kind of world will this be for him? And I wonder...how can I make it better for him?

Or, CAN I make it better for him?

And how can I invest in his life so that he doesn't lose his way every time there's a bump in the road?

For sure, I can support his parents. They love him so much. Jim and I can reinforce what they are teaching him in their home. We can, as his grandparents, teach him about God...how to see His hand in everything around us...how He loved us SO MUCH that He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins. We can tell him of the ways God has been faithful to us during our whole lives. And hopefully, we can show him that, tho trials and hard days do come...JESUS is our anchor in the storms of life. HE steadies our lives.

"These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Bind them as a sign on your hand and let them be a symbol on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment