Monday, November 21, 2016

On How We Blew Joshua's Little Mind

If you've read here very long, you know that Joshua is a creature of habit...and a lover of routine.

We aren't slaves to it, or anything like that, but if we CAN and it's not a big deal to us...we do try to stick to it, because it IS a big deal to him. Why, I do not know, but knowing what's coming...scheduling things for the same time each day/week...it's comforting to Joshua. And if he's comforted and calm...it's just better for everyone.

Like, on Mondays we have muffins. Blueberry muffins. Betty Crocker Wild Blueberry Muffins, to be exact.

Today is Monday, and we had them today. 

Last night, I didn't think I had a box of muffins in the pantry, so I was preparing to run to the grocery store at 8:15. I thought I'd check in there one more time before I left, and I FOUND ONE BOX OF MUFFINS.

I swurr I heard the angels sing.

But, this post is about Sunday, and on how we blew Joshua's little mind...and how he might have to have therapy because of it...and how we, Jim and I, might be gettin' a good "talkin' to" from Jim's Mom.

For as long as I can remember, I've fixed cinnamon rolls (the kind from the can) on Sunday mornings. Joshua is 30 years old, so I've been fixing them for a long time. When Joshua was little, he called them "Sunday Rolls."

Now that there's usually just 3 (or maybe 4, if Clark is home) of us here, I fix the smaller can.

Every Saturday night, Joshua will look in the frig to make sure we have a can of cinnamon rolls. This Saturday night, I saw him coming in from the garage. We keep an extra frig out there for our excess stuff. He came in, and kind of threw his hands up in the air: "I looked in both frig's, and we have no cinnamon rolls." And then he just stared at me with his exasperated face. I could almost feel the judgment coming out of his eyes..."I don't know what she does all day...she had plenty of time to go to the store, and SHE KNOWS TOMORROW IS SUNDAY."

I called Joshua to come closer, so he could hear me. I said, "let me tell you what we are doing in the morning...we are not having cinnamon rolls for breakfast." His eyes got real big, and he said, "we're NOT?" I said, "no...we are having a breakfast potluck at church. There will be all kinds of good breakfast stuff...maybe someone will bring cinnamon rolls, but I don't know. OK?"

I know Joshua loves breakfast foods, and so he said, "okay!"

No one brought cinnamon rolls, but it was all good.

For lunch after church, we typically run through a drive-thru place...unless we have left-overs at home we can eat. We hadn't gotten too far down the road when Grandma Ellen Joshua said, "so...what about lunch?" Jim asked me, "do we have enough left-overs?" We were still discussing it when we got to The Light: The Light where you go straight, if you are going to Wendy's or Zaxby's or Subway...or where you turn right to head to our house.

We turned right.

Jim mumbled, "you should SEE the face I just saw in my rear-view mirror from Joshua...it was not a happy face."

I had a wedding shower to attend, so I wasn't eating lunch at home...but I warmed up the Chinese food from the night before, and there was enough for both of them. Plus, Jim warmed up half of a burrito from a couple of nights ago, because having his stomach turned inside-out from Chinese food was apparently not enough for him. He had to add half of a giant burrito for a flourish.

Jim said that, after I left, Joshua said, "I might try some of your burrito," and so Jim shared with him...and it was all good.

Or we hope so.

Whenever Joshua gets in trouble...or feels like things aren't going his way...he goes upstairs and calls Jim's mom to tell her his side of the story. OF COURSE, she thinks we are horrible parents (not really...I'm kidding), and takes up for Joshua (but I'm NOT kidding about this!) every.single.time.

I was so tired when I got in last night. I took a shower, and put on my flannel pajammies. We haven't had our heat on yet, but the past few nights, we've had to use our comforter. I decided it was time for our Christmas flannel sheets. Every year, I put them on all the beds in our house (but one). I've already put them on Joshua's bed, and I'm putting Clark's on tomorrow. Logan is too hot-natured for them, so, even tho he's married and doesn't live here anymore...I keep his room flannel-free. I took our sheets, and threw them in the dryer for a few minutes...and then I put them on our bed. They were soft and warm.

And then I told Jim, "if it wasn't 8:30...I would really want to go to bed." And HE said, "you can still go to bed at 8:30." And then I said, "I don't want to go by myself," and HE said, "oh, I'm coming, too."

Joshua was upstairs, totally oblivious to this conversation. I called up to ask him to come to the top of the stairs. I said, "Dad and I are going to bed now." He said, "you ARE? Okaaaaaay."

I was asleep in less than 15 minutes. Not even kidding. Soooo cozy.

This morning, after Joshua his muffins, he came in to talk to me. I was rocking Rhodie. I said, "how did you sleep last night?" And he said, "good, BUT CAN YOU TELL ME WHY WE WENT TO BED AT 8:30 AT NIGHT?"

Bless his heart. We totally messed up the routine of his entire Sunday. Even tho it freaked him out...he was really pretty accommodating about all of it. Or so we think.

We haven't heard from Jim's Mom about any of this, so maybe we're okay.

For now.

"From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised!" Psalm 113:3

No comments:

Post a Comment