Friday, January 20, 2017

Inauguration Day 2017

History was made today, just like it has been made every 4 years since 1789. 

It's one of the freedoms we have as Americans...to consider, promote, and vote for the person we think will do the best job leading our nation. 

Sometimes our candidate wins...sometimes they don't. But, make no mistake: the minute Mr. Trump was inaugurated, he became the President. And if you are an American, he's your President...whether you like him or not, whether you voted for him or not, whether you accept him or not. 

No one should have to give up their passions and convictions for the causes close to them, but there are ways to express frustration and ways to work for change and improvement that don't involve violence and bullying. 

I mean, aren't we better than this? 

If we continue to tear each other down, how will anything ever get done? 

Over the past 8 years, I prayed for a President I did not vote for or agree with. But, over half of the country DID vote for and agree with him, and Barack Obama won his elections fair and square. And the day after? I got up, fixed breakfast for my family...and went on with life. 

I did not riot. 

I did not call people names. 

Why? 

Because, as a young girl, my parents taught me that we can't win at everything every time. And because, as a young voter, my Dad taught me that, before any "party" or platform, we are, first, Americans. He showed me that there are wise and compassionate people on both sides of the aisle. 

This election was a tough one. For me, both candidates were just "meh." But it's all said and done now. 

Ultimately, we are supposed to come together, and work to better our nation. It's supposed to be US against THEM...and the "them" is supposed to be every other nation, not our own brothers and sisters. 

I am thankful that my hope is not in any man or woman...that it doesn't rise or fall based on an election. 

The Bible says we are to pray for our leaders: "I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity." (1 Timothy 2:1-2) 

The Bible also gives these words of encouragement: "The king's heart is a stream of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He will." (Proverbs 21:1) 

Pray for our nation...but put your hope in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment