Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Singing For The Elderly, and "Embracing the Concept of Healthy Eating"

Yesterday, Joshua's group went on a lonnnnnnng field trip to sing at a nursing home. It wasn't just any nursing home. It is where the former Director of the Therapeutic Rec center went to work when she moved away from Little Rock. The FRIENDS were all SO excited to see Ms. Sherrie!

Joshua said they sang Christmas songs and passed out candy canes. He said, "we were low-singers...like the low-talker on Seinfeld who asked Jerry to wear the puffy shirt on the Tonight show and he said he would because he couldn't hear him." He didn't think the "el-dah-lee" people could hear them. And he said he didn't think the "el-dah-lee" needed candy canes because most of them didn't have very many teeth.

Alrighty then.

The biggest thing that happened is that one of the other FRIENDS had a lunch with something that leaked...a water bottle or something...and it got on Joshua's lunch bag. That, combined with his nervous stomach from the trip, meant he only ate 1/2 of his sandwich. VERY unusual for him.

But he said he was fine after they sang.

Today, their group stayed at the Center all day. They had yoga this morning with the yoga-lady. She comes to the Center. And then they ate their lunch there, and then did a craft. When I got there, they had just sprayed some glue onto a large pine cone, and then rolled it in glitter. Joshua looked at me when I came in and said, "I made a pine cone."

We had a long talk yesterday on the way to Little Rock about how and why the 4 Gospels are different. Which, was kind of odd because someone had talked about this in our Sunday School class just this past week! I thought it was kind of odd for Joshua to bring it up...so random. This is usually how our drives go, tho. I never know what he's gonna want to talk about.

We drive by a church on the way to the TR Center every morning. On certain days of the week, they give out food boxes to the poor, and the people line all the way around the building. On this particular morning, we drove by and no one was at the church. Joshua said, "no food today."

This church always has little phrases on it's marquee. This week it says, "wise men still seek Him." Which, I'm sure we've all heard and read and seen typed on cards. Joshua read it (OUT LOUD) and then said, "WHAAAAAAT?" I had to explain that it was a "play on words," and gave him some other examples. He said, "well, good, because I know those wise men are DEAD."

And the last thing we talked about this morning was his chin. He was looking in the mirror and said, "my chin is more skinnier than it was when I was in high school." He loves the word "definition" as it describes his muscles, so I said, "well, it's just more DEFINED now. You have more definition." He said, "it looks more skinnier." So I said, "well, it might be that even tho you started working out and powerlifting when you were in high school, you didn't start eating healthy until much later."

And Joshua, my Downsie man-child, said, "yes, I didn't really embrace the concept of healthy eating until after I graduated from high school."

He said, "EMBRACE THE CONCEPT OF HEALTHY EATING..."

I love him so much!

"It is fitting to thank the LORD, and to sing praises to Your name, O sovereign One!" Psalm 92:1

2 comments: