Thursday, December 11, 2014

Joshua's Trip To The Mall

Today, Joshua's Therapeutic Recreation group was going to the mall for their annual shopping trip and he was so excited! We had to leave earlier than normal, in order to get there in time...but the drive is never wasted because today I got to hear about what Joshua has been writing in his stories.

Like how he was "transported" to a "heavenly command center," and how "God broke him down emotionally in order to raise him up and redeem him." And, that, at one point, God spanked him for his disobedience. I asked Joshua why he wrote that...what did that even mean?

He said, "I don't know. When it was happening, I was thinking, 'this is so embarrassing!' I'm getting spanked by the LORD."

So there's that.

And it was really hard to look at him without laughing. Joshua came downstairs this morning and his hair in the front was spiked up HIGH. Like, spiked up to Jesus. Like, Alfalfa from the Little Rascals...only in the front. Like, when I looked at him, I wanted to say, "shark bait, ooo ahh ahh."

I got Joshua to the TR Center and went on my way. I ran a few errands and then met up with my friend, Amy, for lunch. We had a great time visiting. When you live in a new town and see LOTS of unfamiliar faces on a daily basis, it sure is nice to spend time with a friend and just BE.

After lunch, I went out to the mall to meet up with Joshua. I had told him I would find him, and that he and I would do a little shopping for Holly. Her birthday is Saturday. I texted him when I got there and his group was in the Hallmark store. One of the FRIENDS was at the cash register, slowly counting out money for her purchase. Mrs. Alanna was standing beside her, helping her. The sales lady was SO SWEET...she looked at Alanna and said, "it's okay. I taught special needs for 17 years."

The first gift Joshua wanted to buy was one for Jenni. Jenni couldn't come today, because she had to work...and even tho Joshua said he didn't care...it really bothered him. So, he decided to get a "cheer up" gift for her...at Build-a-Bear. If you've ever been in that store, well, they take "perky" to a whole new level. He saw the "Elsa" bear first thing and that is what he had to have. The lady made him take the heart that goes inside the bear...and put it on his eyes, so that he is the first thing Jenni sees every morning. She had him put the heart on his chest, so she would know that his heart beats only for her (so cheesy...even Joshua rolled his eyes). Then, she asked Joshua to put the heart on his muscles, to symbolize the strength in their relationship.

This for the guy who told his girlfriend of 10 years, "don't worry, Jenni...your beauty is only skin deep."

And, yesterday, Holly reminded him that Jenni is his GIRLFRIEND and that they have dated for over 10 years...and he said, "I frown upon that."

And, also, they gave him a card for to address to Jenni, and he intentionally spelled her name JENNY instead of JENNI...just to make her mad.

If you are keeping up...he is getting her a gift to cheer her up and because he missed her today...AND, he's trying to annoy her with said gift.

Do you SEE what I'm dealing with? 

Anyway, when he pulled up the sleeve on his shirt, the lady made a comment on his muscles and called over the other sales person. They went on and on and Joshua was pretty much in all his glory. He does have him some muscles. He works out 3 times a week and he ain't just playin'. It's like, "welcome to the gun show."

Then, I took him over to see the sales lady at Dillard's that usually helps me. I don't know her name, because her name-tag is always turned the opposite way or she has a scarf over it or her hair covers it...and now it's been, like, 3 years or something and it would just be weird if I randomly asked her her name. But she LOVES Joshua and she was THRILLED when I brought him by...because, lately, I've been doing my shopping when he's at TR, and so I've gone by himself.

I told Joshua that it MADE HER DAY that we came by and she got to see him.

It's the little things.

And I thought how kind it was for God to bless us with a really great trip. There's a lot of ugly out in the world...sometimes it's close to home. Just this week, this same mall had a "die-in," where people protesting the outcomes of certain  trials laid down in the food court.

I'm not saying that's part of the ugly, because I'm all for peaceful demonstrations...but it would've scared me to death. All you need is one over-zealous crazy person and there you go. But that's in any situation, right?

And, I'm just sayin'...don't be gettin' in the way of the FRIENDS ordering their Chick-Fil-A.

Everyone we ran into today was so nice. It was such a fun day.

"...Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me." Matthew 25:40

No comments:

Post a Comment