Sunday, November 12, 2017

Day 11: Thankful for My Dad (Veteran's Day)

Went to see my favorite veteran today: my Dad. 

I told him "Happy Veteran's Day," and tried to make him understand. I even wrote it down for him. I don't think he *got* it, because all he said was, "very nice." 

He recognized me right away, which was great, but then, even tho Clara said he had been asking for me all week, he goes, "where's Leanne (one of my sisters)?" Ha! I told him that she would come another time. 

He seemed a little confused, so I said, "but look who I brought!" I took Clark's hand, and pulled him over. I said, "Dad, this is Clark." He looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "I know."  

God made our minds so beautifully complex. One minute, my Dad was talking clearly about current events, and people he knows...and the next minute, he wasn't making any sense (to us). Or, he would make a random comment about a conversation we'd had an hour ago. Like, it took his mind that long to process what we were talking about earlier. It's all in there, he's just not firing on all cylinders, and not everything is connecting properly. 

He perked up when his "mobility meds" kicked in, and he was excited to eat lunch. 

My Dad, my veteran, is 100% disabled now. He needs help with everything, and relies heavily on Clara. He has fallen hard several times in the last couple of weeks. Altho doctors say nothing is broken, his left shoulder is swollen, and it's black and blue all the way down to his hand. 

He told me that things had really gone downhill for him, physically. 

He spends most of his days in his recliner. He can't hear well, and he's confused a lot of the time. He enjoys getting out and going to church on Sundays. And while he may not remember a lot of things, or even most things, Clara says he remembers everyone from church. How sweet is that? 

I wish he could go to church every day.  

He got emotional when he talked about our family. He said, "I love my family, and I love my kids." He told me we should come again real soon, and bring Rhodie. 

As we left, I gave him a kiss, and rubbed his head. I said, "I love you, Dad." He said, "I love you, too, Marty." And then he said this: "you've been a real nice addition to our family." 

WHAAAAT? 

I mean, I guess that's good, Dad...SINCE YOU MADE ME.

What in the world?

My Dad...humble, faithful, quiet, kind. Knows my imperfections, and loves me anyway. Loves all of us, my siblings and me, unconditionally. Served our country, his church, our family, and others. He prays for us every day. Always sees the good in others. 

Points us to an amazing God. 

I am thankful for every second with him.

"Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim Your power to this new generation, Your mighty miracles to all who come after me." Psalm 71: 18

No comments:

Post a Comment