Thursday, November 9, 2017

Day 8: Thankful for My Dad

I didn't think I was gonna be able to get words on the screen tonight, because my heart is full...full of every emotion, and thinking all the things. I'm remembering my Dad tonight. 

Oh, he's still here, physically, anyway. 

But, Parkinson's is a slow-fade, and that's kind of where we are now. 

He's weak, unsteady, confused. He needs help with everything. 

My Dad...my big, strong Dad. He was always the one who wanted to take care of others. He was the helper, the servant, the gentle giant...quiet, wise, encouraging. I don't ever remember him saying a critical word to us. He prayed for us every day. He believed in us. He was proud of us. 

Today, there was a conversation about what comes next for him. Even tho it may be necessary, for his safety, it made my heart so sad. 

But, God is good. He speaks to me in many ways, but especially through music. 

I almost stayed home from choir practice tonight, because my heart felt really tender. But I'm really thankful I went. We sang about how God's love endures forever. And we sang about God's glory. And we sang about how, when we are poor and needy, weak and wounded, sick and sore...Jesus stands and saves us, and EMBRACES us in His arms. 

And then I heard Carrie Underwood sing, "Softly and Tenderly" on the Country Music Awards tonight, and I bawled like a baby. 

Because God reminded me that He is softly and tenderly calling my Dad home. 

It may be this year, next year, or ten years from now... but it will be His way, and in His timing. 

Until then, we are to treat my Dad carefully, and with the dignity he deserves. 

Even tho we can't always see it, there's purpose in the suffering, in the hard, in the waiting. We are trusting God to help us to see it. 

Tonight, and every night, I'm just really thankful for my Dad. 

"Oh, for the wonderful love He has promised...promised for You and for me! Tho we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon...pardon for you and for me! Come home! Come home! Ye who are weary, come home! Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling...calling oh, sinner, come home!" 

"Listen, children, to a father's instructions, and pay attention so that you may gain understanding and insight." Proverbs 4:1

No comments:

Post a Comment