Thursday, March 3, 2016

While Jim is Gone: Day 3

Sooooo...last night was fun.

Except the exact opposite of fun.

In face, I can think of a million things that are funner, and one of them might be getting a root canal, because at least they give you drugs and you can kind of sleep.

And, yes, I know there's no such word as "funner," but I've been up for 20 hours. Give me a break.

Joshua decided that he needed to sleep downstairs, in Logan and Morgan's room, while Jim is gone. Because, my sweet mother-in-law told him that, while Jim is gone, he could be the "man of the house," and he could be "in charge."

(sigh)

So, he slept downstairs in the room next to mine. I didn't mind that at all. This room sits empty most of the time.

The problem was that Joshua is a bat. Seriously. The child sleeps less than I do, and that's saying something.

I know he regularly gets up in the night to potty, but I don't usually hear him...because he's upstairs.

WELL.

It took me a long time to go to sleep...I don't know why. I was tired. I wasn't scared or anything. I was HOT...but there was no way I was changing out of my flannel pajammies. I remember looking at the clock, and it was 12:30 a.m.

And at 3 a.m., I heard Joshua in the bathroom.

Now, he's very quiet...or, he THINKS he's quiet. And, hey...a guy's gotta potty. But he got up no less than THREE TIME in an hour. That's from 3 A.M. to 4 A.M.  I never hear Logan or Morgan when they are in that room, but I could hear Joshua turn over in the bed. I could hear him slip his feet into his Crocs...and I could hear him walk...croc, croc, croc...to the bathroom.

I think my ears must be highly attuned to him, because I can hear him even when he's upstairs, and I pretty much know what he's doing. He makes lots of "Fred noises," like the way he breathes or walks. He mutters, and sometimes he has full-out conversations with himself. Or with God.

I began to pray and ask God to please settle his tummy, or whatever was going on...and allow him to rest. I probably should've also prayed for MY ability to rest. BUT, as my mother-in-law would say, "that's neither here nor there."

The last time I looked at the clock, it was about 6 a.m. and I still hadn't been able to go back to sleep. I think I dozed off at some point, but I got up around 7. When I went into the kitchen to make the blueberry muffins, because I know what's good for me, and because it doesn't matter how tired you are, it's MONDAY, and WE HAVE MUFFINS ON MONDAYS...I peeked in on Joshua.

He was sound asleep under the fluffy, white comforter.

Bless him.

Joshua had an eye doctor appointment, so after breakfast...we both got ready, and headed out.

I don't think I prepared Joshua enough for the appointment...for what to expect. I forgot that it's been a couple of years since he's been. So...this is a glimpse of how things went:

Doctor: "tell me when it starts to get blurry."
Joshua: "pretty much."
Doctor: "which is better...1 or 2?"
Joshua: (blink, blink) *crickets chirping*
Doctor, repeating and a little louder: "which looks better to you...1 or 2?"
Joshua: "1"
Doctor: "which looks..."
Joshua: "2"
Doctor: "okay, Joshua...wait til I ask you."
Joshua: "pretty good."

And then there was the glaucoma test. Joshua's reaction to the "puff" of air in his eye, can only be compared to the videos of the cats and the cucumbers. Have you seen those? Google it.

Because he jumped STRAIGHT UP.

In the end, things were okay. His vision has gotten a tad worse, but it's okay. His cataracts are a tad worse, but surgery is not needed yet. AND, he's getting some new, "more mature-er" glasses.

We heard from Jim. They had worked on their construction project from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. I guess he might be more tired than me. Ha. The wifi connection has been really bad, so we are only able to hear a small portion of what he has to say. He is taking pictures, but they won't send. Oh, well. We were still thankful to hear from him.

It was a good day.

“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, your whole body will be full of light." Matthew 6:22

No comments:

Post a Comment