Monday, May 9, 2016

It's Monday, and We're Out of Milk

We had a great Mother's Day weekend. Our college boy came home on Friday night, and that was awesome! Holly and Aaron-the-son-in-law came over to visit with him for a while. Holly had to work Saturday and Sunday.

We had a quiet day here on Saturday, and we ordered Chinese food for dinner. Aaron had gone to Alabama for a family reunion, and so he wasn't going to be home until late Saturday night. Holly came over after work on Saturday, and she ate with us. She loves Chinese food! :)

Sunday was Mother's Day, and again...for the 30th year in a row...I slept through my parade.

And my breakfast in bed.

WHAT THE HECK?

We went to Sunday School (small group) and church, and it was great. On our way home from church, we got the lunch all mothers dream of: Subway.

Which, I realize lunch from Subway...eaten in our home...around our kitchen table...in our comfy clothes...pales in comparison to a fancy brunch with fresh flowers...but it was soooo my love language.

Clark and Aaron went on a long bike ride, and Jim took Joshua to the gym. And then Clark got ready to head back for his last week of school. It's his FINALS week. We jumped into two cars, and headed south. Morgan's family lives halfway between our house...and where Clark goes to school. Morgan and Logan were with her family for the weekend, but wanted to meet us for dinner before they headed back to their home...and Clark headed back to school. We called Jim's parents, and they met us for dinner, too!

It was so great to see 3 out of our 4 kids on Mother's Day.

But, today, my heart is with a 4 year old boy, waiting in a foster home...and with the mom (and dad) who long to bring him "home," and make him a permanent part of their family. Hang on, little guy. My heart is with the ones who are celebrating Mother's Day without their moms...and with the ones who don't have a baby in their arms this year...and with the ones who are just enduring Mother's Day because they've experienced great loss. I'm so sorry. I am thinking of the ones who invested in me, and the ones I've poured life into...who aren't here with me today. I am praying for you. I think we should celebrate all the women in our lives who fulfill the role of a "mother." She might be your mother, or your mother-in-law. She might be your grandmother, aunt, or cousin. She might be your friend's mom. She might be your sister. She might be a foster mom, or an adoptive mom. She might be a neighbor, or a teacher. She might be one of your friends. So many women have stood in the gap for me over the years: the ones who rocked my babies in the church nursery so that I could attend church; the friends who shared carpool; the ones who made dinner for us each week, and after each baby; who taught my kids when they were at school; who loved on them when they were scared and I wasn't there; the ones who taught them in children's choir, Sunday School, and AWANA; the ones who taught ME how to be a mom; the ones who dropped everything in an emergency...to come take care of my kids; the ones who have surrounded my family in prayer. These are the moms I was thinking of on Mother's Day.

Annnnnnd now? It's Monday as I'm writing this. Yesterday afternoon, Clark asked about drinking the last of the milk. I thought I had plenty, but I forgot how much milk Clark drinks. I assured him it was okay to drink the rest, because I was going to run to the grocery on our way home from dinne

Annnnd...now it's Monday. Yesterday, I told Clark that it was okay for him to finish up the rest of the milk, because I planned on going to the store after we got in from dinner.

And then I promptly forgot all about it.

Until this morning.

An extra bonus? We're also out of orange juice.

I am NEVER out of milk...and I am NEVER out of OJ. So, I think the fact that we are out of both says something about the state of my life at this time.

It might say that some changes with Jim's job have gotten me all verklempt. It's all good. Or it might say that we are less than 5 weeks away from meeting our grand-boy. EEEK! It might say that Holly and Aaron are selling their current house and moving into a new house...and that we are going to try to get their current house all packed up...and help them move into the new house...and get the nursery all set up BEFORE the baby makes his grand entrance. NBD, right? It also might say that Logan is currently finishing up his 2nd semester of Occupational Therapy school...and how overwhelmed I am at the provision of God...how He orchestrated the events in Logan's life to make this happen. Or, it might say that Clark is finishing up his freshman year of college, taking his finals this week...and then leaving on Monday for 2 1/2 weeks in Eastern Asia on a mission trip...and how this mommy is going to just DIE when he gets on that plane.

But, no...really.

Last week, I posted a screen-shot of a text between me and Jim. He was asking me about getting an international texting package for Clark...for while he's gone. And then he asked if I planned on going to the airport when Clark leaves.

Right?

It's like he doesn't know me at ALL, and we've been married nearly 36 years!

I said, "are you new here? I plan on getting on the plane with him."

Not.even.kidding.

"He will not let you stumble; the One who watches over you will not slumber...the LORD Himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade." Psalm 121: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment