Thursday, April 6, 2017

That Time I Sat On Jim's Shoulders (and no one died)

My husband and I aren't really spontaneous people. I am, more than he is. 

We aren't really that adventurous. He is, more than I am. 

When we go somewhere, we both have fun...but we both miss HOME. 

Some people, even our kids, might say we are pretty boring. Maybe we are...maybe not. 

Still, no one was more surprised than me at what went down on our last night at the beach. 

We went to the "picture-taking place," like we usually do, but another family was in the place we wanted to use for our group picture...so we walked around until they were done. A couple of times, Jim told me to look over at this other family. They were doing poses like you would see in pictures from the old Sears Portrait Studio (notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat)...or from prom pictures circa 1978. CHEESE-Y. 

While we were waiting, we took a few pictures...everyone wanted one with the baby. And we took pictures of all the kids. The kids said, "you and Dad get together for a picture." I said, "okay." 

But all of a sudden, Jim said, "Moose, QUICK...get on my shoulders." 

Which...QUICK? 

Is he new?

I was shocked, because this was not like Jim at ALL. 

While I was protesting, "I'm not mentally prepared for this..." Jim was saying, "BOYS...help your mother." 

And the next thing I knew, I was up on Jim's shoulders, looking down at the world...and experiencing what it must feel like to be tall. 

I got so tickled over the whole situation, that I.could.not.stop.laughing. 

Our family...we love each other. We try hard to be careful with the hearts God brings to our family. We have a lot of fun...but we are also imperfect and flawed...just like you. We have struggles, insecurities, and fears...just like you. We have situations that break my heart, circumstances that are challenging, and family members and family friends that I'm praying desperately for on a daily basis. 

God's grace is a lifeline for our family, and HE holds us together. Through thick and thin, we are family. This is us.

"The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:3

No comments:

Post a Comment