Sunday, April 9, 2017

Joshua Turned 31!

Joshua turned 31, during my unintended break from the blog. I wrote about it on Facebook...so I'm posting it here as well.

Like every night, he came to kiss me goodnight before he headed up to bed. 

I told him to stand there, so that I could look at him one more time...while he was still 30. He grinned, and said, "I'll see YOU in the morning." And, like every night, I said, " not if I see you FIRST!"

And, like every night, he walked upstairs shaking his head, like he can't believe I said something so silly. 

It's been a ride, y'all...this life. 

Easy? 

Nope. 

But oh so wonderful. 

In the beginning, there was just so much unknown...some fear, anxious thoughts, nervousness. 

But now that I know? I would choose this life again a thousand times over...a million times over. 

That God would take two young married kids, and entrust them with this precious, precious gift? We are so undeserving. 

A few years ago, I read a quote from Laura Story's ("Blessings" song) sister. They were discussing how they thought Laura's husband's brain cancer diagnosis was a "detour" in their road, when Laura's sister said these profound words: "You know, I think the detour is actually the road." 

I wish I had read those words 31 years ago, because that's exactly how I feel...about Joshua and Down Syndrome and several other things that have *seemed* to come as surprises to US. 

Sometimes we are not supposed to get back on the road...sometimes the detour IS the road. 

"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'" (1 Samuel 16:7) "For You formed my innermost parts; You knit me [together] in my mother’s womb...My frame was not hidden from You, when I was being formed in secret, and intricately and skillfully formed [as if embroidered with many colors] in the depths of the earth." (Psalm 139: 13,15 Amplified Version) 

"What if trials of this life, the rain, the storms, the hardest nights...are Your mercies in disguise." 

JOSHUA: wanted...planned...created...intended. WORTHY. 

Happy 31st Birthday, Joshua! 

"The LORD has done great things for us and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:3

No comments:

Post a Comment