Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Wedding Anniversary #37

On May 24, 1980, we had us a little weddin' in the chapel at Ouachita Baptist University.

I wore a dress that cost $200. I also wore a hat, because my Mom told me to. I didn't care one bit about having a certain color scheme or theme for our wedding. I just knew I wanted to marry Jim, and I left all of the wedding decisions up to my Mom. She wanted me to have a "southern belle" type of wedding, even tho I was about as far away form that as a person could get.

I think it says a lot about the classiness of the day, when, for the next 18 years, your mom would wear your "wedding hat," when she dressed up as "Ado Annie" to sing the "Cain't Say No" song with her singing group.

Still, one of the best things about that day...besides getting to marry my best friend...is that my Mom was there.

My Mom made all of the flower arrangements, and all of the bouquets, herself.

After the wedding, we had our reception over at the old Flenniken Memorial Hall across the street. We had cake, punch, mixed nuts FROM A CAN...and those little pastel mints.

I posted a picture of us on Facebook, as we were heading out the door after our wedding reception. Seriously, since when does the state of Arkansas allow babies to get married?

NO ARKANSAS JOKES...I've heard them all. :)

My goodness, we were young. And clueless.

We could not even begin to imagine the twists and turns God would allow in our lives over the span of 37 years: 4 children, 1 pwecious wittle gwanbaby, 2 weddings, 8 different houses, and lots of hospital stays.

The things that could've driven us apart...brought us together.

Why?

There's certainly no good in either of us, that we would receive any favor from God. But He has been so kind to us, a good, good Father...and a constant in our lives.

Also constant are the examples we've had in our parents, and the support and encouragement we've received from friends along the way.

Having a killer sense of humor sure hasn't hurt!

Our middle son, Logan, says one of the truest tests of whether or not you should marry a certain person, is if you can handle looking at their "pre-sneeze face" for the rest of your life. HAHAHAHA!

(I guess congratulations are in order for our sweet daughter-in-law, Morgan? hahahaha)

Marry your best friend, people...because beauty fades and wrinkles come and trials will be a part of every life. Marry a person who shares your faith, who encourages you daily, who stays in the storms, who wants the best for you, who won't run at the first sign of trouble, who challenges you in your spiritual walk, who makes you laugh.

Today, I am thankful for Jim, and for the family God has allowed us to create.

I'm gonna wear these 37 years as a badge of honor. Not as a "look at what we've done," thing.

More like a "look what God has done," thing.

Or a "look how far God has brought us," thing.

He really is the One who holds all things together.

"This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one." Genesis 2:24

No comments:

Post a Comment