Saturday, April 9, 2016

Joshua's Birthday Gift: The Book of Joshua

Joshua turned 30 this past Monday.

I spent the weeks leading up to his birthday, wondering what we could give him to commemorate his special day. Joshua's needs and wants are very simple...but 30 is kind of a big deal!

A few days before we left for our Spring Break trip, Holly said, "why don't we ask people...family members, and friends, from the past to the present...to write letters to him. We could ask them to share a picture or a memory, and then we could put them all in a big book?

It was pretty much a genius idea! This is something that Joshua will enjoy FOR-EV-ER.

I quickly sent Facebook messages to some family members and friends. Over the next few days, I would think of others, and send them a message, too. I also mailed letters to the people who don't use Facebook messenger...and I went to Hobby Lobby to get a scrapbook album, and a package of pages.

The day after we got home from our trip, our accumulated mail was delivered.

Y'ALL...

It would barely fit in our mailbox!

I started putting the letters onto the scrapbook pages, and quickly realized I needed more supplies...so I went back to Hobby Lobby.

The next day, more letters. The day after that? More letters...and another trip to Hobby Lobby. I think I've been back 6 or more times.

You see, apparently I think my God is small...but He is not.

OH NOOOOO...He is not!

He is BIG, and He showed up BIG...all for my brown-eyed birthday man.

In the beginning, I thought, "IF ONLY we could get 30 letters...that would be one for every year of his life." Well, I got another letter in the mail today, and we have almost 100 letters! And we are starting our 4th scrapbook album!

God's goodness and unfailing love continually pursues us. HE prompted people to participate, and their actions not only blessed Joshua...they've also blessed our family.

I am blown away by the kindness that has been shown to Joshua. I'm talking a pressed-down-shaken-together, more-than-we-could-ask-or-imagine kind-of-thing.

We are still getting letters almost every day, so we haven't given him his book yet. But soon.

I am so very thankful for every person who has invested in Joshua's life, and ours, over the past 30 years.

"Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever." Psalm 23:6

No comments:

Post a Comment