Thursday, September 4, 2014

On Leaving the Light On...and Waiting

Last weekend was Labor Day and I was so excited for the holiday!

I was mainly excited to have all of our children here. I knew Holly and Aaron would be gone most of the weekend to Auburn...because we had their DOG. They got back on Sunday afternoon, and hung out here with the rest of the family Sunday evening and all day Monday.

We were excited that Logan and Morgan would be coming home for a few days!

What I forgot about with Logan is that he is married...and so there's another family to consider when it comes to holidays...and everything else. Her family.

We knew Logan and Morgan were going to spend the night here or with her family on Wednesday night, because they were going to Texas on Thursday. My sister had given them tickets to watch the Broncos play in Arlington at Jerry's World. Logan is a long-time Bronco fan, so he was so excited and thankful.

We didn't know where they were going to stay...here or there...and I didn't want to ask. Being a new mother-in-law to my daughter-in-law...I don't know. I kind of felt like it would add extra pressure to her if I called or texted to see what their plans were...I didn't want them to think I would be disappointed if they didn't stay here.

Because I would totally be okay with whatever.

Did that sound convincing?

Because they didn't stay here on Wednesday, and I may or may not have (privately) shed a few tears over it. See? TOTALLY OKAY WITH WHATEVER.

Then, we thought they would stay here on Friday night...but they didn't. And we thought they would stay here on Saturday night...but they didn't.

Again. TOTALLY OKAY WITH WHATEVER.

(sniff)

I should be prepared for this, because when Holly and Aaron started dating...and they dated 7 years before they got married...they spent nearly every waking minute at our house. And I loved it.

And now I see the other side.

In most situations that I know of, the couples tend to spend more time at the girl's family's house.

Of course, not everyone is close to their sons and their wives, and not everyone cares if their sons and their wives don't come and hang out at their house.

I would not be in that group.

Jim says, "you won't be happy until we've got Holly and Aaron living on one side of us...and Logan and Morgan living on the other."

Which is totally wrong.

I would be fine with them living across the street.

During our small group on Sunday, I felt my phone buzz. It was Logan. They were heading to our house, and wanting to know where we were and what about lunch. I was excited, but I was also, "ARE YOU NEW HERE?" Because Sunday School...Church...every Sunday.

Goodness gracious!

We ran by and picked up chicken and brought it home for lunch. We enjoyed every second they were here at our house. They stayed Sunday night and then left on Monday after dinner to head back to their home.

God uses simple and every day things to teach me His truths. I thought about how I had anticipated Logan and Morgan coming to visit. I cleaned their room and vacuumed the floor. I cleared space in their closet. I washed their sheets and made their bed look all cute. And when I was done...I turned on the bedside lamp...and I waited.

And they didn't come.

And God showed me that I rush around a lot doing my own thing. I try to have a quiet time, but I wake up late...or I go to bed late. I say a quick prayer in the morning, but fall back asleep...or my mind wanders onto something unimportant and mundane like my grocery list. I plan time for Bible Study, but I am invited to lunch. Or I sit down to write a blog post and before I know it...an hour has gone by. No time now! I'll do better tomorrow.

And He waits.

And I don't come.

If my heart aches when I'm waiting and expecting my kids to show up and they don't...how much more it must hurt His heart when I don't show up ready and prepared to meet Him each day.

And if I will rush around cleaning and shopping and cooking in preparation to see one of my children, clearing off the schedule to allow plenty of time to visit with them and do the things they want to do...I wonder how it makes God feel when I keep pushing Him to the side over and over. And then when I make a small time-slot available, I come to Him harried and flustered and unfocused.

How much richer would my spiritual walk be if I prepared my heart to meet Jesus like I prepared my home for a visit from my children?

"...Let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice." Psalm 105:3

2 comments:

  1. Wow... I'm new here and was just browsing around. This was splendidly insightful enough to make me bookmark your blog so I can read more though! (After I go and get some time with the Lord while my children are sleeping) Thanks for the story and reminder to keep my priorities right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate it so much! :)

      Delete