Monday, November 11, 2013

Joshua and His Thankful Days of November

Joshua has been participating in the thankful days of November by posting on Facebook something for which he is thankful each day (please notice the awesomeness of the grammar in that sentence) (don't get used it). We didn't talk to him about this. I don't know if he saw others doing it on Facebook or what. He is doing this all on his own, and it's been really sweet. 

Well, sweet with a little bit of funny thrown in. I just want to remember some of them, and they are listed exactly how he wrote them:

Day 1: Today I'm thankful for my dad who taught me how to be a honorable a naturally born leader. And to be a courageous man. To defend and protect and provide. Trust and boldness can go a long way.

Day 3: I'm bless to have learned the values of loyalty love and bring courageous from my mom. And I'm thankful, for that.


Day 5: I'm thankful that I have my sister Holly. She's head strong. She taught me how to make things right in a lovingly way. I'm so holy thrilled that she is a christmas angel. To me. She is to me strong independent and very caring and loving. I love her with all my heart.


Day 6: I'm thankful to have my younger brother Logan. With his love and devotion to be the leader of men. I'm the proudest oldest child to have him as a brother. And I truly love him. I really admire his devotion and courage to Morgan. He is the bravest godly brother I wanted. We grew up through the good and the bad times. But. Still he's more than a brother to me. He is also my best friend.


Day 7: today I'm thankful to have a learned loyalty and kindness and determination from Clark. I'm so proud of the man and leader he has become. I'm honored to have my baby brother Clark. I really, really love him. I also learned persistence from Clark. I have a deep Christ like love for him. I'm proud that he is Grown he is a miracle brother to me. Oh. I love Clark. My man bro.


Day 8: I'm thankful for my brother in law Aaron who made me his groom's men 2 years ago when he married my all loving and tender sister Holly. I'm grateful he was nice to me to make me the member of his groom's men. By the way thank you Aaron for making me your groom's men. You are the best bro in law and I love you. And the little furry dog. Marlo my furry nephew.


All of these posts make my heart smile.  If you have read any of the Alex Kendrick books (Facing the Giants, Fireproof, Courageous, etc), you can definitely see his influence in Joshua's posts. Joshua is all about being a godly man, a godly leader, not leaving your mate, standing firm, being courageous, etc. He once called Jim a "furious protector" of our family.

So sweet. 

But the funny parts are the ones I didn't post here...the ones about his Therapeutic Recreation group. This sweet and thankful form of recognition has turned into a competition of sorts for a couple of the friends...and so when one friend posts something, it's just a matter of time until it's met with an equally moving post or tribute! 

I always tell people how there are more similarities between people who have Down Syndrome and people who don't...and things like this just prove my point. Do you know people who try to constantly one-up others? The difference is that people with Down Syndrome are usually so obvious about it, because their hearts really are pure...but the rest of us? We are pretty good at being sneaky about hiding our motives when we do things like that.

Am I right?

I love it when my children feel thankful, whether or not they post it on social media.

"...I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12

No comments:

Post a Comment