Saturday, February 9, 2019

Making Room at Your Church for New People

Earlier this month, I went to a women’s event at our church. 

We have a new pastor, and God is using him and his wife to breathe new life and energy into our church, and into our women’s ministry...and I’m so excited about that. 

But as excited as I was, I had a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach as we drove to the church. 

I think we tend to base future events on past experiences. 

Anyone else? 

I’m an Air Force Brat. I’ve lived all over the United States, and in 2 foreign countries. By the time I graduated from high school, I had already moved 16 times. SIXTEEN! I was ALWAYS the new kid...at church, at school, everywhere. 

It’s been a lonnnng time since I rode with Pa in the covered wagon to school. And even tho I know a lot of people at my church now, as I walked in this morning, I could still remember that sick feeling in my stomach. 

Will I know anyone? 

Will anyone talk to me? 


Where will I sit? 


Will they like me? 


Years ago, I went to a women’s event at church...by myself. 

I was new. 

I walked in alone. 

I went because I believe new people have to do some of the work...they have to put themselves out there, and try to meet people. 

But they should never, ever have to do ALL the work. 

So, several people spoke to me. I put on a name tag, and walked into the room. The tables were covered with white tablecloths. They were beautifully decorated. Candles flickered on each table. 

But do you know what else I saw? 

Chairs folded and leaned up around each table...the universal sign for “YOU CAN’T SIT HERE.” 

Nearly every table had one or two people seated at it, with all the rest of the seats “saved.” 

All of a sudden, I was back in school...the little new girl with no friends, and no place to sit. 

UGH. 

I never want anyone to feel like that! 

Today, I walked into a women’s event at my church. I wasn’t by myself...my daughter, Holly, was with me. Many people spoke to us as we walked in. The women’s ministry members were greeting everyone, and making sure that each person felt welcome. 

Holly and I walked into the sanctuary to see tables covered with white tablecloths. They were beautifully decorated. Candles flickered on each table. 

What we heard: “hey, sit with us!” 

All over the room, women were reaching out to each other saying, “hey, sit with us,” making sure no one had to stand awkwardly at the back, wondering if there was a place for them. 

My church isn't perfect. Yours probably isn't, either. But we are doing our best to welcome, include, and care for each other. We are trying our best to point everyone to Jesus.

Let's do better. There are people all around us that need a friendly word of encouragement.

Let's make sure everyone has a seat at the table.

"And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near." Hebrews 10:25

No comments:

Post a Comment