Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Special Olympics and Soccer Weekend

We had a great weekend. Joshua had an "outing" on Friday night...he met up with his group of friends at Shogun's. He was really excited. He wore his new jeans that I bought him at WM. He said they were "more tighter," and then he smiled REAL big. We left him there with his group, and then Jim, Clark and I went to eat at Buffalo Grill. The food was great. I had hoped to run by Bed, Bath and Beyond, but Jim kept driving, like he had something else in mind...and he did! We ended up at the Big Darn Bridge! It was so pretty at night with all the lights. I could've looked at it all night, but JIM had other ideas. He wanted us to WALK on it. 

Let me just say that Marty is not a fan of walking DOWN BY THE RIVER. At night. 

Are you KIDDING me? 

I had just read about someone getting mugged down there, and here my sweet husband and father of my children...wanted me AND MY BABY BOY to get out of our safe car and walk the bridge. I was a nervous wreck. But I'm typing this, so you know I wasn't killed! It really was beautiful...and scary at the same time. The power of the churning water is something to see, the lights were so pretty and the sky was clear. We went back to pick up Joshua and he'd had a great time. Jenni had dressed up for the evening...girl-friend was BRINGIN' IT. She looked so pretty! They made quite a couple...Jenni in her new dress and boots, and Joshua in his more tighter jeans.

Logan had made it in by the time we got home. He had come home to support Joshua on Saturday, and it was great to see him. Joshua came in and walked up to him and said, "give me a hug..." and they hugged for a long time. So sweet.

On Saturday morning, Clark and I headed up to Conway for soccer. He had a game at 10 and one at noon. I was really excited to watch him play...but sad that his game was at the same time as Joshua's Special O. competition. Isn't that the way it usually happens? If you have more than 1 child, you will eventually have a conflict of some sort. It was a beautiful day, and our team won both games handily...and Clark did really well. Jim kept me updated on Special O. as he could. Logan took some pictures of Joshua. Jim's parents were also there to watch Joshua, as well as Jenni and her Dad. Joshua was in ALL his glory. He won 3 Gold Medals! He lifted 145# in bench-press, and 200# in dead-lift...that's a combination award of 345#. Not bad, considering he weighed in at a whopping 122#! (funny how we weight the exact same!)

Shuddup.

Clark and I were leaving Conway, and saw a restaurant called "Chicken Express," and my car couldn't turn in there fast enough. Clark was on Cloud 9, since he is the biggest chicken-lover of all time. It was a great ending to a great morning. On the way out, Clark used his phone and helped me with directions...and we drove around a few neighborhoods in Conway. It was fun.

We got home and Logan was resting...and Joshua was in the shower. They had all gone out for lunch at Arby's...and then Jenni and her Dad went home...and Jim's parents went home. Logan gathered up his stuff and left around 4:30. :(  It was great to see him, especially since he is going to NYC for a Spring Break trip and we won't see him again until sometime after he gets back from that.

Jenni had invited Joshua to come to a wedding at her church on Saturday night. She was passing out the programs. Her family came to pick up Joshua just as Logan was leaving...so then it was down to the 3 of us, again. Clark said that "the guys" from his Sunday School class were hanging out from 7-10 p.m.at our North Campus. We decided to go eat with the old people at Cracker Barrel, so he would be able to do that...and then at 8:30, Jim and I headed to pick up Joshua. The wedding reception was at the Double-Tree. We got there, and they were dancing and having a blast...but oh, so tired. They'd had a full week, and a full day already!

I keep saying I'm going to get Holly to help me put pictures on this blog, because Jim and Logan have pictures from Special O., and Jenni's mom took a picture of them dancing and it is precious...but I haven't asked her yet.

Yesterday was SS and church. We had 6 in our class, which surprised me...what with the time-change and all. I fully expected all of our college kids to forget! Oh ye of little faith! We had a great sermon on II Corinthians 1:3-7...about GOD being our comfort in difficult times; that there's purpose in suffering, and how we are supposed to pay it forward, so-to-speak...and come alongside someone else and comfort them in their time of need. Such great words of truth.

And I just wanted to remember this one thing about Clark, something I had already forgotten after ONE DAY. One of the soccer moms come up to me at church...we had sat together at the soccer game, and whenever Jim would send updates or pictures of Joshua, I would show them to her. I LOVED being there with Clark, and I tried to make the day all about him...I mean, I didn't expect that he would "get" that, as a Mom, it's hard when you want to be in two places at once. So, this soccer mom comes up to me at church and says, "I thought what Clark said yesterday was so precious." I asked her what she was talking about and she said, "after the game?" I still had no clue. She said that after the game...which was a hard and very physical game...and the boys came running over...I said, "good game, Clark." And she said the first words out of his mouth were, "how'd my brother do?"

Sigh...

I had totally glossed over that...but I just wanted to write it down. Obviously, I can't remember anything from one day to the next! But we all have days when we feel like total failures as parents...or I have...and then God was so sweet to give me this sweet little morsel of encouragement.

This week is the eye-doctor and a quick visit from Holly and a track meet and painting trim and getting carpets cleaned and JIM FIXING THE KITCHEN FLOOR (hopefully)...and then we get to shake the dust (and paint) off our feet and head to the Redneck Riviera for a few days of R&R.

I CAN"T WAIT...

"Rest in the LORD and wait patiently for Him..." Psalm 37:7

No comments:

Post a Comment