Monday, February 6, 2012

Preparing our home...and remembering...

I just want to write down and remember a few things...things are moving fast and furious here with the-thing-which-shall-not-be-mentioned (our upcoming move). I decided that I wanted to paint the interior of the house a neutral color, because I heard that might help it sell faster...so I talked to Susan Cason and she gave me some suggestions. I ended up choosing SW Cork Wedge and really like it. I started in Logan's room...and then moved to the game room. That turned out to be a HUGE job. Argh (And that one red wall? It seemed like such a good idea at the time...haha). It took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to paint! I could only do a little at a time...but I FINALLY got it all done. Logan's room, the game room and Holly's old room. All painted Cork Wedge! :) Then, I had to take down the wallpaper in the boys' bathroom. It had started to peel in places...I'm sure those long, hot showers they liked to take didn't help things. When I pulled the wallpaper off, I could see that it had been stuck directly to the sheet-rock. THANK YOU, MR. BUILDER...NOT! Sooo thankful that we had just come from Leanne's house and I was able to see the rental property that Kevin and Robin were working on for Leanne...they gave me a tutorial on "texturing" walls, and so that's what I did in that bathroom. It turned out GREAT! In fact, I got something from Jim that I rarely get...a COMPLIMENT! (this is because my "crafty" experiments usually don't turn out well!) He said, "I wish we'd done this in OUR bathroom because I LOVE IT!" Yay! I painted the texture SW Anonymous...kind of a dark gray. I bought a cheap mirror at Kirkland's ON SALE and am trying to get it all together. It looks really good. Now, I don't want anyone to use this bathroom for...ummm...the next 4 months or so? Too much to ask? I think yes!

I just love this house. I am so thankful for it. I remember when we moved here and the whole "looking-for-a-house" time. It was hard. I think we had looked at about 10 houses, and didn't find anything we liked. Jim and I talked about it and had pretty much agreed that we would just get one of those houses and be okay with it. :(  I had seen this house, but it was a little out of our price range...but suddenly, it was reduced, so I asked to see it. I remember walking in and nearly having to fight back the tears. I knew. For me, a lot about the house is the kitchen, and this kitchen was warm and welcoming...with lots of cabinet space. It had a dining room...I was excited about that! I also knew that we would want to have at least 2 bedrooms on the main level with the master...I didn't think Joshua would want to be upstairs if we were downstairs. This house has 3 bedrooms downstairs. Yay! When we went into the master bathroom, it not only had separate sinks...something we had long decided we wanted...and NEEDED...this bathroom had totally separate vanity areas! On opposite sides of the bathroom! I just knew Jim would LOVE that. When we went upstairs, we saw a full bathroom and a bedroom...and a HUUUUGGGGEE game room. Um....SOLD! Ha! They had a foosball table and a pool table...I knew my boys would be in heaven! And, then...what is that? At the other end of the game room...could it be? YES! It was another room. It could be ANOTHER bedroom! 5 bedrooms...the upstairs 2 were very small...but still. Each child could have their own space. :) I was sold! We decided to put Joshua and Holly in the downstairs rooms, and let Logan and Clark have the upstairs as their "man cave." (we did end up changing things around after Logan went to college...moving Holly's stuff up to Clark's old room, and moving him downstairs with us...letting us close off the upstairs except when Logan or Holly came home). There was a storage room in the garage...I could picture all of Jim's tools and hunting items in there. And it had a long, wide driveway...with kids and cars and friends...I just knew that would be a plus. But then...we went out back. A HUGE deck in the back yard. A covered porch. A hot tub. Then, half of the back yard was lush and green...so pretty. BUT, the other half...was a garden! Flowers, plants, rocks...and a garden-garden. I knew Jim would just DIE. I couldn't wait for him to see it. Our real estate woman was laughing so hard when Jim got there...all the things I said, "oh, Jim would love this..." or "this is perfect for..." Jim would just echo. I guess we DO know each other pretty well, after all!

It was a total God-thing...getting this beautiful, perfect-for-our-family house. I love it and hate to leave it...but what made it a home was all the memories we shared in it.

I'm excited to see what is next for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment