Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The One Where Joshua Discovers the "Like" Button...

We did a little changing around with the phones at Christmas. I always get the phone that's left-over in the swaps...and I'm okay with it. I've had a little red flip phone for about 4 years and it has worked JUST FINE, thank you, ma'am. All I need to do is to be able to call and text people. And maybe take a picture or two. Oh, and if it could take my grocery list and go to the store for me, then SIGN ME UP for that plan! Ha!

So, Jim was getting a new phone for work. His plan was to give me his old phone. I told him that if he would give it to Clark instead...I would be so happy. I realize no 9th grader needs an iPHONE, even tho most of his friends have one. A new one. The LATEST one.

"Whatever. Who cares?" (Joy Behar)

We gave up trying to keep up with the Jones' a lonnng time ago. Clark never says a word about wanting or needing ANYTHING, so I thought it would be a nice surprise for him.  Logan had asked for a new phone for Christmas, and little else. Now that the kids are older and more tech-savvy, I have to have them write down e-x-a-c-t-l-y what they want for Christmas, because otherwise...I wouldn't have a clue! So the kids each make their Christmas lists. They know they're gonna get about 3 presents from that list. (Jim says if 3 gifts were good enough for Jesus, then it's good enough for our kids...ha!) Anyway, Logan barely had anything on his list. Helloooo? How thankful am I that my kids aren't greedy? VERY. Thankful. And blessed.

Long story longer...Jim got a new phone and gave his old phone to Clark. We got Logan a new phone and he gave his old phone to me. I gave my red flip-phone to the beady-eyed texting King of the family...and he was thrilled to death. Since Clark's new/old phone would be able to serve as an ipod, Jim suggested that Clark give his old i-touch to Joshua...and, again, he was thrilled to death. Jim's idea was that we could down-load music on it that Joshua liked and he could listen to it in his room, in the car on trips and at the gym.

Well.

Jim also said...wait, did I mention that this was all his idea? I did? Okay.


Jim also told Joshua that he would be able to access his Facebook in our house...using the free wi-fi. (da-da-daaaaaaaaaahhhhhh). He thought it would give Joshua more independence talking to friends and family, because I had been in charge of monitoring his Facebook use up until that point. Jim told him that he had to be 'appropriate' or his i-touch would be taken away.


Things started off quietly. I didn't help him too much. Truth be told, I didn't want him to know how to do too much...I was afraid of what might happen. With the help of his girlfriend, and his own ingenuity, he learned to maneuver the ins and outs of posting on Facebook. And then we discovered that he had figured out how to send private Facebook messages. None of this should come as a surprise to us, considering this is the child who, several years ago, had a regular ol' phone and NO data plan, no texting plan (we didn't think he would know about all of that)...and I was somewhere and received a MMS text from Joshua. It was a picture of his plate and these words: "I ate a salad."


Houston, we have a genius!

But things rocked on with very little trouble from the things he posted. Oh, there was the occasional funny one like "I did Zumba with my bare feet and Jenni busted a move. She broke it all the way down..." but nothing too bad at this point. We noticed one day that he had changed his profile picture ALL ON HIS OWN. I didn't show him how or anything!


And then there was that day...we had just finished dinner. My phone was on the counter and had been buzzing a lot. When I picked it up to check my messages, I was shocked to see that I had 61 notifications...just in the time it took me to prepare and eat dinner! I barely have 61 friends on Facebook so I thought something was surely wrong! No, it was just Joshua. He'd figured out how to view Facebook pictures from the past...oh...5 YEARS or so, and he liked them.

No, he LIKED them. 61 of them.

So, I wasn't too surprised when I got a text from Holly a bit later that said, "MOM!...what is going on with Joshua?" She had 99 notifications on her Facebook!

Joshua discovered the "like" button!

"A joyful heart is good medicine..." Proverbs 17:22a

No comments:

Post a Comment