Monday, January 7, 2019

Hello Blog, My Old Friend...I've Come to Write on You Again...

Remember that time I had a blog and I updated on it regularly, like a journal, so my kids/grandkids would be able to read about our family after I'm gone?

Remember that year when Mom fell off the face of the earth?

So much has happened during the last year and a half or so. I probably won't go back and recap it all...maybe I'll just wait til something comes up. I don't know.

But here we are in January, and so far it's awesome!

And, by "awesome," I mean it's quiet...calm...uneventful. Nothing like the past 6 months in our family...with an engagement, a wedding, the announcement of 2 more grandbabies coming, a job promotion, and two of ours finishing grad school. HALLELUJAH PRAISE THE LORD!

Right now, I'm content to just be.

To sit and think and (hopefully) write some things.

School started back here today, which affects me not at all, because my kids are grown...but I remember simultaneously hating this day, and also being kind of relieved at this day.

Anyone else?

I'm the crazy mom who loves having the kids home during the holidays, and during the summers. I love the chaos and the no schedule and the lazy days. But as much as I loved it, my kids did get restless...and it wasn't until after they were all back at school that I realized how nice it was to just have a minute to breathe.

Having the time to catch your breath, when you have a busy family, is so nice...and not underrated at all.

So this morning is quiet...and slow.

But it's still a Monday, so you best believe I made muffins for Joshua. I'm not a complete psycho.

We were supposed to have Rhodie today, but the census was down in the NICU, so Holly got canceled. Joshua has spent all morning up in his room...singing, dancing, working out, praying, reading the Bible, writing in his journal.

I've spent my morning doing all of that, too...except the working out part!

He came downstairs at lunch time...sniffing the air, and looking around. If we have the baby, we almost always go to Chick-Fil-A for lunch...because about 11:15, Rhodie will start yelling, "CHICK-EN! FRIES! KETSUP! AH-PUL JOOSE! ICY CREAM!"

Today, since we don't have him, I thought we could just eat something here. I said, "Joshua, you can eat Dad's leftover sub sandwich that's in the frig." Joshua: [HUGE SIGH} "okay..."

He's not too good at hiding his disappointment.

He also made a "S'more" for his dessert, but he said he could only find half of one graham cracker...so he layered: 1/2 graham cracker, 1/2 Hershey bar...and he put 1/2 marshmallow on top. Then he microwaved it for, like, 2 seconds.

And I didn't say a word.

Teaching independence, one cold, hard S'more at a time.

What are your goals for January? I have some.

Do you have a word for this year? I think I do.

This morning, I'm feeling peaceful, thankful, encouraged, expectant.

HAHAHAHA...at first, I typed "expectorant." I'm not feeling expectorant at all. Thank goodness!

"...Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that You have brought me this far?" 2 Samuel 7: 18

No comments:

Post a Comment