Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Joshua's 7 Qualities For A Pastor

A couple of years ago, our pastor resigned, and our church started the process of seeking the man who would lead our church. 

One of the first things was to form a "pastor search team." 

Our staff talked to us about what the process would entail, and asked us to pray about and submit 7 names from the men and women in our church. Once the ballots were collected, the top 7 would be voted on by the church...and they would be our search team. 

I talked to Joshua about all of this at home, and we prayed for our church, and for the people who would be on the search team. I felt like he had a pretty good grasp of the process. 

When the day came to fill out our ballets, I asked Joshua if he wanted one, and he said, "yes." I pulled up my list of 7...I had saved it on my phone...and glanced over at Joshua. His head was down and he was writing furiously. 

Not gonna lie...I had a twinge of pride. I thought, "TAKE THAT, people who think he doesn't know what he's doing. 

When he was done, he showed me his list. Instead of listing the names of 7 PEOPLE, he had listed 7 qualities or characteristics he wanted in our new pastor: 

*faithful
*honest
*bold
*patient
*wise
*understanding
*has a heart for kids. 

That last one about did me in. 

Some people might say Joshua did it wrong...DID HE?

After 10 months or so, we found our new pastor. He's been here a year now. Best I can tell, he has every one of these qualities. That last one? He and his wife have 6 kids. :) 

To quote a line from the movie, Babe, "that'll do, pig...that'll do." 

"Pray without ceasing." (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

No comments:

Post a Comment