Thursday, October 6, 2016

Down Syndrome Awareness (Acceptance) Month: Michaela's Story

I meant to link this post with the one I wrote yesterday about Joshua's friend, Lindsey Walker, and what a blessing her friendship was to Joshua all during his school years. 

I had a different post ready for tonight, but I think this one needs to stand alone. I am so thankful for parents who teach and model acceptance and understanding to their kids...and for kids (and adults) who don't define others by their abilities. Thank you for allowing me to share your story, Michaela. We are thankful for you.

I remember growing up and having a best friend named Catie. I was in 3rd grade and couldn't wait until recess so we could play together. She was in a different class than me, so recess and lunch were the only times we were able to see each other. We would eat together everyday, then climb on the jungle gym, take turns being the momma and the baby, and I would make her little clover flower crowns. I never knew she was "different" than any of my other peers. The people in my class would refuse to touch me or talk to me after I played with Catie and our other friends in her class. I would go home and tell my mom how mean everyone was to us. My mom, being the voice of reason as she always was, told me something that has stuck with me. Although it's not verbatim, she told me to "love her anyway." Catie had Down syndrome and she was my best friend. Acceptance is natural. Intolerance is taught. If only I could love with the pure hearted love as these individuals ðŸ’™ðŸ’› 
"In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary." 1 Corinthians 12:22

No comments:

Post a Comment