Sunday, April 7, 2013

Affirming Words

Spent time today with some "old" friends. Not that we want to think of ourselves are old! But time marches on, through good and bad.

A group of us became friends over 25 years ago, when we were all in the same SS class at church. Just starting out in marriage...in life...starting our families. It was a wonderful time for Jim and I. We had just moved to Little Rock for Jim's job. We didn't know one soul. But in a year's time, we managed to make friends and forge bonds that would last a lifetime. Or, we hope they will.

I know they will.

It was in this class that we also learned how to govern our lives and build our families...how to be husbands and wives, dads and moms; we learned about love, commitment...and loss; we learned the importance of church and community, and that Christianity was not a religion, but a relationship. We learned about the importance of service and giving, and we learned how to comfort others.

And we had fun. Lots and lots of fun.

We were also taught that God was sovereign in all things, and that His plan for our lives would greatly exceed anything we could come up with on our own; that God worked in the trials and difficulties in our lives just as much as He did in the good times; that He loved us all the more when we needed it all the more. For many of us, this lesson was learned only after much struggle and heartache.

It was a precious, precious time...and even then, I felt like I was in the midst of a great work of God.

It was into this band of gypsies that Joshua was born. He was born to Jim and I, but he was also born into the hearts and lives of many in our class. His birth rocked our world...in many ways. For some of us, it shook our faith to its core; for others, it was a time that defined and strengthened us. And it brought all of us closer than ever before. We found out that we were stronger when we all stood together...and when we all knelt together. And what the enemy might have used to tear us down and break us apart...ended up being one of our greatest joys.

But the years have passed, and we moved away. Others just moved on. The kids all are grown, or nearly grown, in most cases. Many are married and have children of their own. It's like deja-vu watching them make their way, and we pray that they will find a church and a group that will mean as much to them as ours has meant to us. That time, when we were all together and starting out...is a touch-stone for me as far as my Christian walk is concerned. The days when I look back and remember remind me of how blessed I am...and how very overwhelmed I am by the goodness and the greatness of God.

Life has not always been easy, for any of us. Challenges, medical or financial issues, adoptions, love and loss, life and death, aging parents, rebellious kids. We go on...living by God's help in an attempt to glorify Him in all that we do. But sometimes, we just get...weary. 

Have you ever been there?

And then there are times like today...a celebration to honor a young groom, as he starts his own life and family. We were together...not all of us, but most. We picked up where we left off since the last time.

Like we always do.

We talked. We laughed. We prayed. We got serious. We cried.

We were able to give words of affirmation to one who is struggling...a little beaten down by the circumstances in her life. I walked away feeling so blessed and thankful for this friend...and kind of burdened, too...but not in a bad way. I just need to make an effort to encourage her more, and to lift her up in prayer more often.

And then before I left, one friend and I talked...away from the group. She spoke words of encouragement to me. She's a kindred spirit...a sister in Christ...and in parenting a child with special needs. It's a life that you just can't explain to someone else, and to have a friend who just "gets" it is such a blessing. Because some days are just a struggle...and when those days roll into weeks and months and years...you can find yourself feeling wiped out, frustrated and exhausted. This friend encouraged me by reminding me of where we came...of those days all those years ago...when we were scared and unsure; and how God used our friends to hold us up when we were at the ends of our ropes. Her words came like a waterfall over me. I came away feeling refreshed and renewed...and lightened. Isn't it amazing that speaking a few words can mean so much?

We all need encouragement. Can I get an "Amen?"

All I needed to know was taught to me in that young adult SS class all those years ago: Biblical principles and truths that guided me, protected me, encouraged me. Some of them, I didn't understand at the time, and I hid them in my heart for later. All of them were the foundation on which my faith was built.

God never fails. His love endures forever. And He is faithful and true.

"Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His faithful love endures forever." (1 Chronicles 16:34)

2 comments:

  1. Marty - this is so awesome. I love this and just made me excited to pray together on my girls beach trip. I'm going to mention that we literally kneel together. What great perspective you have looking back. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is SO good! Such great wisdom. Thank you for sharing and for linking up!

    ReplyDelete