Monday, March 25, 2013

Building Bridges

Last Sunday, our pastor spoke on "Making New Friends." Building bridges between us...and people we would normally avoid for one reason or another. He used the Bible story of the Woman at the Well (John 4:1-42) as an example. He talked about reaching across racial lines and economic barriers; about overcoming fears and stereotypes; about being open to learning about other cultures...and reaching out to people who are different from us socially...people who are considered social outcasts.

His points were that when the disciples saw a woman...Jesus saw a PERSON; when the disciples saw a Samaritan...Jesus saw a FRIEND; and when the disciples saw an outcast...Jesus saw an EVANGELIST. All good things to think about and practice for sure.

Our church is currently in the midst of a building program. We are moving our main campus out west of town, while keeping our downtown campus as a ministry center. All year long, our church is focusing on evangelism. I mean, we do this anyway, but this is a concerted and intentional, corporate effort...from the pulpit to the children's ministry to the senior adults. We want our church to be more diverse; to be welcoming to people regardless of their race or skin color or background or culture. To quote our pastor, "we want our church to look more...

like Heaven."

He talked to us about the people we usually try to avoid...those from a different race, who look different...or those whose behavior goes against everything we believe in: immorality, homosexuality, certain lifestyle choices. All things we tend to forget that WE ONCE WERE (1 Corinthians 6:11 "Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."). He talked to us about building bridges of trust, friendship and respect with people who are different from us...using caution when necessary, for sure...but realizing that if we don't reach out, if we don't tell them...how will they ever hear the Good News? And if we don't love them, how will they ever believe in the One Who loved them enough to die for them?

Not gonna lie...I spent the first few minutes of the sermon mentally climbing up on my HIGH HORSE. All.Up.On.It. Because this message hit me in a different way, as things in life tend to do...because I'm a mom of a child with special needs, and that clouds sometimes influences my judgments. And so I was thinking, "all YOU PEOPLE need to listen UP..."

Because, when he was talking about people who are different...people we avoid...people who are social outcasts...I was thinking of Joshua. I don't think of him that way, but many in our society DO. I wondered if people would stop to talk to him, or help him if he was in need. Or would they be too afraid or "put off" because he is "different?" I imagine that some wouldn't even think he was worth the trouble.

Harsh? Maybe. Judgmental? Oh, for sure. But I've seen people take a different aisle to avoid us when we are walking, like at WM or Target. And I've noticed people totally ignore him when talking to me. Or ask me questions that should be addressed to him, like, "would he like a cookie?" Or, "does he need a children's menu?" (He is 32 years old) Or, like at a restaurant our family visited recently, the waitress handed each of us a menu...individually handed them to each of us...except for Joshua.

Seriously? Ugh.

Gets me all worked up just thinking about it.

But, God...

He was so kind to help me down, and hold me tight. He reminded me that He loves Joshua more than I ever can. And that I'm no better. No better than the woman at the well; no better than the ones who avoid and ignore people like my Joshua.

Because what I want for my child, what I expect, I often fail to give to others. And I am ashamed to admit it.

Because I know how it feels...and I know better.

Because, when we see someone who is extremely overweight...Jesus sees a PERSON; when we see someone unkempt and dirty...Jesus sees a FRIEND; and when we see someone covered with tattoos and piercings...Jesus sees an EVANGELIST.

I know people, Christians, who fit and LOOK LIKE each of those statements I just made. And they are reaching more people for Christ where they are...and how they are...than I am in my squeaky-clean, prim-and-proper, orderly world.

Because they love people the way Jesus did. The Bible says, "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)

Sometimes our attitudes and actions say, "clean yourself up a little, and THEN we'll talk, ok?" And that could not be more wrong.

I'm so thankful that, once upon a time, as a young girl, Jesus met me where I was. And loved me. And all those times as a teenager, and then as a young wife and mom...and even now, today, when I mess up...Jesus comes to me where I am, in the middle of my mess...and He loves me.

How can I do any less for someone else?

"In as much as you have done it unto the least of these brothers and sisters of Mine, you have done it unto Me." (Matthew 25:40)

No comments:

Post a Comment