Saturday, July 13, 2019

A Good, Good Father (Who is Watching YOU?)

Been thinking a lot about my Dad, and the example he has set for me and my siblings.

He's not perfect, and neither are we...and so I know there had to have been times when he was frustrated, upset, sad, and disappointed with us. Or just with the things that can happen in life.

It's funny, tho, because all I remember getting from him my whole life is unconditional love and support...his strong and quiet spirit, the humble way he lived his life, the kindness he showed to us and to others.

So much kindness.

It got me thinking about all the fathers, and the "father figures" in our lives...as well as all the mothers...of the examples we set, and the legacies we leave, and the importance of recognizing that someone is always watching: a child, teacher, co-worker, friend, parent...and strangers.

Even tho three of ours are out-of-our-home, we still want to be an example for them. We don't want them to question our commitment to God, each other, our family...or to the values we've tried to teach and model for them.

Sadly, there have been many times when we were probably more of an example of what NOT to do. Joshua said that Jim and I "go at it" every Sunday morning, on the way to church (I'll post that video later).

Now we have a little one (and two more coming behind him) who watches our every move; a little one who will follow us anywhere, and do whatever we do.

When I climbed a step-ladder to reach the top of the Christmas tree, he did, too...right behind me...unaware of any possible danger. All he knew was that I was up there, and he wanted to "crime up," too. He wants to walk in the street and get in the pool and open doors that are locked to keep him safe...because he's a curious little boy, and because he's watched us do these things.

There are precepts and values and information we desperately want to teach our children, grandchildren...or other children in our lives...but what we SAY has to match up with how we ACT, and what we DO. Right? Because kids are smart, and they can spot fake in a New York minute. They can tell by our actions what things are important to us.

In college, I majored in Sociology and Psychology. I had no idea what I would do with that major after graduation. But, watching people, and studying their behavior, has always been so interesting to me. What's scary is that there are people out there watching and studying ME.

Don't laugh. They are studying and watching YOU, too.

This should fill us with a deep sense of dread responsibility. I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone to base what they do or think or say by how I am observed on my worst day.

I mean, right? We all have those days.

Because, as much as I want to set a good example for my children and grandchildren, I'm flawed, and I'm going to continue to mess up. A LOT.

How do imperfect people ever hope to teach or model any of the goodness of a perfect God?

Spoiler: we can't. Dads, on this Father's Day, and Moms...in our own strength, we can't.

“...My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

This is what we need to tell our children..."I'm weak...HE is strong; I can't...HE can; I fall...HE lifts up; I sin...HE forgives." 

And this is why we must remind ourselves, and our children, not to measure our "goodness" against the "goodness" of someone else.

GOD is our "plumb-line." HE is the standard. HE is the good. HE has set right and wrong, and we cannot change it to fit our circumstances , or the culture of the world. 

"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2

No comments:

Post a Comment