Tuesday, July 17, 2018

More Than I Can Handle

Over the years, I've been told one thing more than any other...I bet you've heard it, too: "God won't give you more than you can handle."

And to that I say, "Ummm...yeah, He will." 

Because, here's the thing: if we could handle it, we wouldn't need Jesus. Right? 

You remember Job? All that he went through in his life...the unimaginable loss and suffering...and yet he would say, "God might kill me, but I have no other hope." (Job 13:15) He knew that, even if he had everything...He would be utterly lost if he didn't have God.

If we could handle everything on our own...death, sickness, loss, abandonment...how would we ever recognize our need for a Savior?

In the New Testament, Paul wrote of the hardships in his life: beaten, stoned, shipwrecked, long journeys; danger from rivers, robbers, from his own people, from others; faced danger in cities, deserts, and on the seas; he worked long and hard, had many sleepless nights; he was hungry, thirsty and cold; many times, he didn't have enough clothing; and he had a great burden for all of the churches.

What God said: "My grace is all you need. My power works better in weakness."

What Paul said: "When I am weak, then I am strong."

I don't know anyone who has been through horrible things like Job or Paul. I'm using them for perspective, and as examples of two people who persevered under great trials.

We all have struggles and challenges...that's a fact of life. What we need: more of Him...less of WE.

"He must increase, but I must decrease." John 3:30

No comments:

Post a Comment