Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Father's Day 2017

The greatest thing my Dad ever did for me happened before I was born: He married my Mom.

It was because of her influence, early in their marriage, that he gave his heart and life to Jesus. That one decision set the tone in our home, and directed the path of our lives...and led us all, individually and at different times, to commit our lives to Him as well.

My Dad has quietly lived out his Christian walk on a daily basis. Day in, day out, he's been a faithful follower, and humble servant of Christ...leaning on Him in times of trouble, and pointing to Him in times of joy.

He taught me to praise God in both good times and hard times. He taught me how to be content, and that has been one of the greatest gifts.

Today, I am thinking of my Dad, and praying for him. I don't know if he realizes that today is Father's Day. He is such a humble and gentle man...I doubt he understands the profound impact he's had on each of our lives...or the example he has been to us, and to others.

I'm incredibly blessed to have him as my Dad.

And, today (and every day), I'm thankful for my husband.

We made a lot of mistakes in parenting, for sure...but by the grace of God, and with His help, we managed to raise 4 kids to love each other, and love the Lord.

And, BONUS...this year, our kids have gotten to see their Dad in a different role: as a fun-loving Puddin' Pop to Rhodie.

Our kids know they can count on their Dad for anything, and that he wants the absolute best for them.

We've been partners in parenting for 31 years now. We aren't perfect, by any means...but, together, we are a pretty good balance.

I'm thankful for this hard-working Dad, and for the way he loves and supports our family.

Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

No comments:

Post a Comment