Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Joshua's Dynasty

Joshua is a creature of habit and a lover of routine. He likes structure in his life...knowing what we're doing next and what time we're doing it. He likes to be in charge of structuring his own time as well. It's pretty funny, because it might seem to you and me (and everyone else) that there is no rhyme or reason to his routine, but it all makes perfect sense to him. I can't tell you the times that we'll be sitting in the living room, watching TV or hanging out as a family, and he will jump up and say something like, "8 o'clock...time to clip my toe-nails," and head off to his room. I think I've blogged about that before. He loves calendars and day-planners. Once, when I looked in his day planner, he had written "spend time with God x6." He was planning to have quiet time with God SIX TIMES in ONE day. 

Wow.

I feel bad.

Joshua likes to know what we are doing every day. He typically has his "outings" on Tuesdays and Thursdays, altho they sometimes throw an extra day into the mix. Mondays are the days he cleans the church, and then we always go get lunch after that at Chick-Fil-A. Always. Wednesdays are the stay-at-home days. Fridays are the wild-card days...shopping, hanging out with Dad if he is home, going to the gym, etc. Joshua has decided that MWF are his "Pretendo" days (that's what he used to call Nintendo-type games, and what we call them to this day). He will go upstairs and play after lunch.  It can only be after lunch. His favorite game to play lately is NCAA08, one of our older games. We have  PS-2 and a PS-3. I think (one of them is always broken). Anyway...he built a "dynasty" of a team completely from the members of our family. His team is the ASU INDIANS. That tells you right there how old the game is, because a couple of years ago, the political correctness gods forced ASU to change their name to the ASU Red Wolves (which I like better anyway).

(ahhhh-ooooooo)

I am usually not upstairs when he is playing his games, but the other day I was up there painting while he was playing. I was able to do my work AND quietly observe him...he is hilarious to watch. First of all, he talks the ENTIRE TIME. Talk, talk, talk. The entire time. To himself, to the players in the game, to anyone who might be texting him at the time..."I'll get back to her LATER..." The other thing I noticed is that HIS TEAM ALWAYS WINS, and wins handily...as evidenced by ASU's 129-10 win over Troy on this particular day!

Honestly, tho, how could they not win, what with my 75 year old father as the Quarterback, and Jim's grandfather, J.O. or "Osborne," who has long since gone on to Glory, playing Corner (and FYI...if he was still with us, he would be 103 in May!). Joshua has them all...young and old...living or dead...all the male members of our family play on this team. Even 5 year old 'baby' Kyle. 

Joshua was oblivious to me. I was doing my work and only half-listening to him most of the time. All of a sudden, I hear the commentator's excited voice, "and that's Osborne with the pic! He's going to run it all...the...way for the touchdown! That's an 87 yard run and Osborne's 13th pic of the season!" And while I stop painting to process what I think was just said...Joshua goes, "Way to go, Pa-Pa J.O. Woo-HOOOO!  Up from the grave he arooooooooossseee!"

(not bad for a dead guy)

Job 8:21 "He will once again fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment